Self Care for Caregivers
Ilene’s Caregivers was launched in 2022 to complete the circle of caring at Lucy’s Love Bus by providing essential support services for our Love Bus children’s parents, guardians, and caregivers. Ilene’s Caregivers offers a menu of self-care and respite options to support parents and caregivers through the long journey of caring for a very sick child and their sibling(s). This program is generously funded by The Ilene Beal Foundation and Parmenter Foundation.
ALL New England-based childhood cancer parents are invited to join one of our free programs:
- Weekly online support group for parents and caregivers (Tuesdays, 8 to 9PM)
- Monthly online support group for bereaved parents and caregivers
- Monthly online support group for dads
- 1:1 support phone calls with program manager, Colleen Tierney, cancer parent
- Monthly online Tong Ren sessions with Open Channels Energy- Wednesday evening, 8 to 9PM
We also have additional support available to certain families in the form of one-time funding awards.
Current eligibility guidelines:
1. You have a child that was diagnosed with cancer before the age of 21
2. You live in New England
3. You are a single parent OR your child is at end of life or has a life-limiting prognosis OR your child has long-term late effects from cancer treatment OR your child passed from cancer less than one year ago.
All bereaved childhood cancer parents in MetroWest (MA) are also eligible for the paid support options, thanks to the Parmenter Foundation.
Funding for eligible caregivers can be used for:
Massage therapy, spa services, yoga, or energy healing for caregivers
Support from an Independent Healthcare Advocate
Respite Weekend Retreats with gift cards for gas and groceries
Home visits/End of Life Doula Care
For more information, please contact Colleen Tierney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to download the application formOr fill it out directly on this webpage through the form below!